Re: [mowbot] A cheap, easy platform

Dave Everett (deverett nospam at idx.com.au)
Thu, 06 May 1999 08:48:46 +1000

At 07:54 05-05-99 -0700, david steinke wrote:
>Terry (Cef) Pearson wrote:
>
>PVC is about the cheapist plastic out there. A 4x8' sheet of 1/4" thick
>pvc sheet for $40 is the regular price at my local plastic supplier, so
>I wouldn't bother to try to flatten PVC pipe. I might try your technique
>for moulding shapes though. The only real problem with PVC is that you
>cannot let it sit in the sun. UV degrades it.

Ahh but if Terry is using PVC pipe meant for outdoor use it will be UV
stabilised. If it's storm water or drainage pipe then it's not stabilised
and wil start to form a white powder on the surface as the PVC breaks down.

A biodegradable Mowbot, maybe not such a bad thing ;)

Dave Everett

Domestic Droids Website
http://members.xoom.com/Mowbot/