Re: [mowbot] blades, drives

adamdb nospam at juno.com
Tue, 4 May 1999 08:48:23 -0500

Has anyone ever tried just using an R/C airplane propellor as the cutting
blade? That way you get both the lift and the cut with one cheap, easily
replaceable item. You can also get them in a variety of sizes and styles
(including 3 bladed versions).

Thoughts?

On Tue, 04 May 1999 09:23:19 +1000 Dave Everett <deverett nospam at idx.com.au>
writes:
> At 14:01 03-05-99 -0500, Lawrence Lile wrote:
> >
> >I'm curious about other's experience with the plastic trimmer blade
> >converters. Most people seem to end up with the disk and razor
> blade
> >concept for a trimmer. I'm afraid of that - if the plastic swing
> blades
> >work they should be safer. I have a friend that lost a hand in a
> mower.....
> >What "didn't work" about the plastic blades?
> >
> I tired a plastic blade early on, also a soft rubber blade, nylon
> line
> trimmer, hedge trimmer, handmower blade etc etc.
>
> The plastic blade needed a lot of speed to work. I was running it at
> about
> 15000RPM. The soft rubber blade worked, but hit anything ard and you
> need
> to replace the whole blade. The nylon trimmer just made a mess of
> the
> grass, it's best against a hard surface like a fence, but less
> successful
> when the grass can move away. The hedge trimmer also left a mess of
> uncut
> grass. The handmower would have been dead simple to convert to
> robotic
> operation, but you need to go back and forth over the same spot to
> get a
> proper cut.
>
> In the end the best system was the razor blades.
>

> Dave Everett
>
> Domestic Droids Website
> http://members.xoom.com/Mowbot/

Adam Bryant (age 0x23)
abryant nospam at peaktech.com (work)
adamdb nospam at juno.com (home)
Parker, CO, USA
Robotics, RC Airplanes, anything using a PIC

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]