Re: [mowbot] mowbot brains

Lawrence Lile (lilel nospam at toastmaster.com)
Mon, 3 May 1999 08:37:58 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Byron A Jeff <byron nospam at cc.gatech.edu>
To: mowbot nospam at ro.nu <mowbot nospam at ro.nu>
Date: Sunday, May 02, 1999 2:06 PM
Subject: Re: [mowbot] mowbot brains

Hear Hear, I second everything you said avout PICS. I'm probably going to
build my mowbot brains out of a PIC16C505. I've got a few (a key point - "a
part in hand is worth two in the catalog") They are a very inexpensive chip
(US$0.90 for 1, $0.50 for 100,000) and look like they have enough I/O.

To the fellow using 555's - Microcontrollers are pretty complicated to
learn. That's why they are so much fun. You're learning curve will be
easiest if you go with one of the PIC basic add-ons. OTOH, if you ever want
to make a living programming microcontrollers, study assembler. It is not
that hard to pick up.

>I'm a PIC guy. They've been my uP of choice for the last 4-5 years. Here
why:

>1) Relatively cheap. PIC16F84's are $6 and change at digikey. The 8 pin
>PIC12C508 are less than $2 in singles.
>
>2) Extremely simple instruction set. Only 33 instructions. One can learn
the
>whoule set in an afternoon.
>
>3) Cheap programmers and development tools. Microchip, the PIC manufacturer
>give away their Windows based assembler and simulator, and their programmer
>is less than $100 and programs everything. If you really want to do it on
>the cheap a 16F84 programmer can be built for less than $10 and an
afternoon.
>I'm a Linux guy and there's a development push for assemblers and
programmers
>for the Linux environment. One of my students put together a 16C84
programmer
>that runs like a champ. The 16C84 is simple because it's EEPROM based so
>it doesn't require the eraser, timing, and voltage, that EPROMS require.
Most