Re: [mowbot] A Lurker Says, "Hello".

Monta Elkins (Monta nospam at vt.edu)
Mon, 23 Sep 1996 09:06:27 -0400

Robert Bergstrom wrote:
> The method used
> to acutally cut the grass needs to be efficient, but the specific method
> can be tailored to the environment.

I'd say, "no" and "yes"...

The mowing doesn't have to be particularly efficient.
The mowbot will have plenty of time to do the work.
(As long as the cycle time is less than the growing
time; 1-2 weeks for a 'typical' yard).

I like the 'tailor' concept;
Specifically I think there should be a philosophy of

"Get it working first; THEN optimize it".

It's easy to do a lot of talking; especially on the internet.

Let's start out with some simple, common concepts; ideas,
tools etc. and build on them.

Get SOMETHING working (moving whatever) first and add
advanced concepts (advanced algorythms, advanced sensors etc.)
later.

That's one reason I like the 'Gameboy for brains' concept;
Emulators are feely available (Linux and Windows) for
anyone who want to help/experimant with software. And
the hardware is also cheap and easily availble (and mostly
assembled) vs. starting with 68HC11 or something.

-Monta "who doesn't want to mow his grass next summer" Elkins

| "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is |
| for good men to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke |
| Monta nospam at bev.net ----------------- http://www.bev.net |
| System Administrator - Blacksburg Electronic Village |