Re: [mowbot] cutting motor details

Dave Everett (deverett nospam at idx.com.au)
Tue, 04 May 1999 09:04:47 +1000

At 13:50 03-05-99 -0500, Lawrence Lile wrote:

>I am also curious about your use of airflow in the cutting motor. I
>understand that moving air in mowers is a big power user. Is it possible
>just to cut the grass off and let it lay, and use less power?

The problem seems to be that grass gets trampled and falls below the
cutting height. This is really only a problem if the grass is too long in
the first place, or if the cutter system is spinning too fast (assuming no
lift).

The ways I intend to deal with this are:
1) use a slower cut speed.
2) cut regularly so the grass won't bend easily
3) ignore grass already bent and hope it gets long enough to sit up above
the cut height

Dave Everett

Domestic Droids Website
http://members.xoom.com/Mowbot/