RE: [mowbot] Cordless lawn mower modification.

Dave Everett (deverett nospam at idx.com.au)
Sun, 10 May 1998 10:22:44 +1000

At 10:02 PM 08-05-98 -0700, you wrote:
>---Rick <rick nospam at enrnews.com> wrote:
>I'm working on general purpose solutions. I agree that in some cases
>ultrasounds or laser beams may be simpler than full blown vision, but
>in most cases vision is clearly superior if not the only applicable
>solution. In case of fully functional mowbot, surface detection
>sensors are not sufficient. Imagine someone leaving a blanket or piece
>of clothing laying flat on the grass. It would not change surface map
>of environment and mowbot would mow right through it.

That's a possibility I haven't considered with my downward-looking sonar
system. I think it would be a minor danger, but one that could be somewhat
rectified by the use of colour sensors like Robin's idea.

Of course _green_ clothing or blankets could fool the system, but there has
to be some limit to the sensing systems.

Dave Everett

Mowbot Project Website
http://www.idx.com.au/~deverett/mowbot/index.htm