Re: [mowbot] Re: Gotta have gas to cut ??

Byron A Jeff (byron nospam at cc.gatech.edu)
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 14:29:54 -0500 (EST)

> BAJ wrote:
>
> --snip--
> >1) Electric powered blades.
> >2) Gas powered blades with a clutch - which standard lawn mowers do not have.
> >For good cutting we need real power.
>
> --snip--
>
> Pardon me for saying so, but I'm not sure that is true.
>
> My experiments have shown that small dc motors will cut the grass just fine.
> My test cuts were done using a single dc motor, 12v nospam at 0.6 amps while cutting,
> will turn a 5" aluminum disk approximately 2000 RPM. The aluminum disk has 4
> X-acto knife blades sticking out 1/2" that do the cutting. The cuts were
> clean,
> and seemed easy enough. Now bear in mind that I didn't cut overgrown grass,
> but
> cutting off < 1" was easy enough.

Now see? This is the kind of information I've been waiting to see. This is
an experiment I can perform this weekend. A couple of questions:

1) Is there actually a need for a disk? Would not two cross-members in a
propeller type arrangement do the same job?

2) What was you power source and how long did it last?

BAJ