[mowbot] Navigation papers

Dave Everett (Deverett nospam at vir.idx.com.au)
Fri, 27 Sep 1996 16:08:42 +1000

Monta Elkins wrote:

> Dave Everett wrote:

> > I suggest you review the results of positional work
> > related to robots to date.
>
> That sounds like an excellent idea.
> Can you recommend a few, I'll check my library for them.

There are a lot of papers on robot navigation. The key is to find ones
that don't use special or modified environments :-(

Two papers that cover that type of navigation are:

SSS: A hybrid Architecture Applied to Robot Navigation, by Jonathan H
Connell (published in the 1992 IEEE international conference on Robotics
and automation Nice, France - May 1992)

Integration of Representation into Goal-Driven Behaviour-Based Robots by
Maja J. Mataric (IEEE transactions on Robotics and Automation, Vol8,
No3, June 1992) See also "Environment Learning Using Distributed
Representation" Maja J Mataric

The book That Dominic mentioned "Minimalist Mobile Robotics" is an
excellent, detailed exploration of behaviour-based robots and simple
navigation.

The Papers by Maja Mataric are really the gold as far as navigation is
concerned. I've seen people promoting uncertainty grids etc, but I've
never seen a real-world proof.

--
Dave Everett                                Email: deverett nospam at idx.com.au
(c) 1996 - Copyright remains with the author unless explicitly stated