Re: [mowbot] motor power, induction charging

Dana Gould (dgould nospam at usa1.com)
Thu, 26 Sep 1996 13:27:12 -0400

----------
> From: robin nospam at acm.org
> To: mowbot nospam at dragon.swansea.linux.org.uk
> Subject: [mowbot] motor power, induction charging
> Date: Wednesday, September 25, 1996 8:10 PM
>
> I haven't done the experiment, but I have looked at suitably chunky 12V
> d.c. motors in the RS catalogue and they have ratings like: 300mA (60rpm,
> 0.3Nm), 493mA (65rpm, 0.3Nm), 1.2A (20rpm, 4Nm). The latter is perhaps
> outside our budget, being 88 UKP ($132) for two, but it is all metal,
> 126x42x64mm and looks *really* heavy duty. I can do the experiment on
> paper at least.
>
> (snip)
>
> Robin.
> --
> Copyright (C) 1996 R.M.O'Leary <robin nospam at acm.org> All rights reserved.
> For licence to copy, see http://dragon.swansea.linux.org.uk/mowbot/

Regarding motors. My first thought is to get a couple cheap
cordless screwdrivers. They're geared down, have a far amount
of torque, and operate from 6V, 9V, 12V, or 14V (though the
cheap ones are usually only 6V). You'd probably want to
gear it down one more time, but I think a couple of them
should be sufficient for a mowbot.

Drive them with a microcontroller using PWM for speed control
and differential sterring.

Dana