Re: [mowbot] cutting

Dave Everett (Deverett nospam at vir.idx.com.au)
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 08:33:26 +1000

robin nospam at acm.org wrote:

> Dave Everett <Deverett nospam at vir.idx.com.au> wrote:
> > All my previous research has shown that the best way is with a high
> > speed blade. The grass blades are very flexible, and they just bend over
> > unless struck with enough force. I also believe that the grass tends to
> > stand up due to the sucking of air past the mower blades, this greatly
> > improves the effect.
> What about opposed blades, like scissors or hedge trimmers? Or Monty's
> idea of a comb with a rotating disk of blades underneath?

I tried a hedge trimmer about 3 months ago when another roboticist I
know was thinking of using one on a robot mower. The results were no
good, the blades just bent, and at the very best it tore a few grass
blades and looked terrible. I tried keeping the blades closer,
sharpening etc. That is why I looked at how the normal mower blades
work.

Dave Everett.