Re: [mowbot] Mowbot

Monta Elkins (Monta nospam at vt.edu)
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 08:45:47 -0400

Ron Woodward wrote:

> I have been following this for some time and decided it was time to get my
> two cents worth in. I will follow Monta's outline which seems like a good
> starting place and a reasonable way of organizing my thoughts.

Thanks for the comments.
My outline, is an outline of the _Process_ of construction.

In my imagination contruction begins by defining the
goals and developing a strategy.

That's what we're doing now.

Then we'll build the platform and see if it works.
Add a microprocessor and get it working.
Get it to follow simple patterns.
Get it to recharge itself
Get it to recognize boundaries.
Then develop mowing strategies (based on performance
of the existing pieces.)
Then deal with advance topics like harrassment by neighborhood
children.

> Looks cute and has a winning personality. ;-)

I think this is actually very important.
Half the fun and acceptance will depend on its
'personality'.

A robot that mows so slowly you can't see it move,
is not very intersting, and will therefore have a
harder time gaining acceptance.

And considering this project will probably be a
LOT of work with little monetary reward I'd at
least like to end up with something that 'looks good'.

-Monta

--
-Monta Elkins

--------------------------------------------------------- | "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is | | for good men to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke | | Monta nospam at bev.net ----------------- http://www.bev.net | | System Administrator - Blacksburg Electronic Village | ---------------------------------------------------------