Re: [mowbot] A cheap, easy platform

Terry (cefpearson nospam at accs.net)
Wed, 05 May 1999 13:47:23 -0500

At 09:49 AM 5/5/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Bug Hunter wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 5 May 1999, david steinke wrote:
>> >
>> > PVC is about the cheapist plastic out there. A 4x8' sheet of 1/4" thick
>> > pvc sheet for $40 is the regular price at my local plastic supplier, so
>> > I wouldn't bother to try to flatten PVC pipe. I might try your technique
>> > for moulding shapes though. The only real problem with PVC is that you
>> > cannot let it sit in the sun. UV degrades it.
>>
>> there are versions of pvc pipe that have UV protection built into the
>> plastic.
>
>Do you have a brand or trade name or source for the UV pvc pipe? I use
>plastics at work for exterior housing/mechanics/plumbing. I have seen
>non UV resistant plastics made UV resistant by embedding graphite into
>them. I have not seen an UV resistant PVC pipe though.

I have had no problem with the UV aspect and PVC. So i wouldnt worry
about that. In fact, i have made a rotor for a windgenerator out of pvc
pipe and it has been running the last 3 years. Although i did paint it,
the paint has worn off years ago. I think a lot of it has been made UV
resistant just out of common usage. the design for the PVC rotor is at the
adress in the signature below.
Cef Pearson (Terry)
cefpearson nospam at accs.net
Clinton County, Indiana