Re: [mowbot] Questions?

Dave Everett (deverett nospam at idx.com.au)
Tue, 04 May 1999 08:50:42 +1000

At 09:33 03-05-99 -0700, david steinke wrote:

>The more I read about the compass, the bigger the problems I find. As an
>experiment, I took a standard compass and moved it withing 1 foot of my
>chasis with everything off. The compass went haywire depending on its
>location to the chasis. I turned everything on and the compass was still
>acting up. I don't see how an electronic compass would correct for this.
>I could shield my motors and wires and try again I guess.

The Vector modules have a calibration method, called 'Hard-Iron'. This
stores a magnetic map in the module of the current surrounding field
distortions so the unit can compensate. Unfortunately this is no good for
moving fields like motors.

Dave Everett

Domestic Droids Website
http://members.xoom.com/Mowbot/