Re: [mowbot] The grass keeps getting longer

Brian Rudy (brudy nospam at sbay.org)
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 21:23:01 -0800 (PST)

I have a simliar story...

Robile Mowbot is on hold until one of my other robots, Blue Cube running.
There are a few dissimilarities between the two robot's vision and sensor
systems, but many components can be re-used in the mowbot.

Info on the Robile Mowbot has recently been moved to
http://www.thetech.org/~brudy/roble_mowbot/ so please update your links.

On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, GH LATTA wrote:

> Hey, glad to hear this is not all dead. I'm still collecting parts for my
> planned mowbot but expect it to take a couple of years.
>
> Anyway, its good to know you're back.
>
> G.H. Latta
>
> Dave Everett wrote:
>
> > Greetings fellow Mowboters,
> >
> > If any of you are still around that is :)
> >
> > I have been so busy these last few months, I've hardly had any opportunity
> > to work on my robots. At present I have 4 robots underway, Grassy - the
> > lawnmower, a vacbot, a biped and a new large domestic robot.
> >
> > You may remember that I have changed the course of my mowbot and the
> > picture I have online is not representative. One of the decisions I made
> > was to treat the design like a commercial design, so I am having parts
> > made, and casting others in plastic. This can lead to long delays and other
> > headaches, but I'm certain it will lead to a better robot.
> >
> > On the vacbot front I bought an old Superbug vacuum in a pawn shop and will
> > be modifying that for robotic control. There isn't much room inside when
> > the guts are stripped out. I'm hopeful that everything will fit in.
> >
> > Those of you who read comp.robotics.misc regularly may have seen a message
> > regarding the use of studfinders for robotic obstacle detection. The basic
> > studfinder is a capacitive sensor which works well for non-metallic
> > obstacles. I have designed up a circuit which seems to work quite well and
> > I plan to use that in the vacuum nozzle.
> > I will post the circuit to the website when I've fully tested it.
> >
> > I've had quite a few enquiries about the website as usual, plenty of people
> > asking for references to other sites and information in general. There are
> > a few university level mowbot projects going on that aren't online yet. I'm
> > hoping to get links to these projects soon. I also receive email from
> > people not on the list who are also building domestic robots of various
> > kinds, and I hope to have pictures and information from them on the site in
> > the near future.
> >
> > I'd like to ask all members how their own projects are going?
> >
> > Dave Everett
> >
> > Domestic Droids Website
> > http://members.xoom.com/Mowbot/

Brian Rudy