Re: [mowbot] Domestic robots

Dave Everett (deverett nospam at idx.com.au)
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 10:48:09 +1000

At 17:52 12-10-98 EDT, you wrote:

> My 'Vacubot' uses the motor and fan from a dustbuster type of cleaner. It
> is designed for 6v, but when run from 12, it really suck! This particular
> dustbuster came with a head attachment, which I have modified to go on the
> front of the robot. drive is accomplished by 2 Tamiya wormdrive gearboxes
> coupled to meccano wheels. I made some opto disks for distance measurement.
>
>I've been kicking around the idea of a vacuum robot also I'd love see what
>your's looks like.

To put it bluntly, it looks like shit <G>, but I wasn't trying to win a
beauty contest. I really thought I could get it finished in a week or 2,
finished enough to start the software development anyway.

Like many projects I take on, I find myself never satisfied with the
results and start redesigning before I'm finished. I don't think the dust
and dirt pickup will be as good as I want and I'm thinking about those
dustbuster type units that have a motorised brush head. It'll suck more
current but it's got to do a better job.

The electrolux vacuum robot uses a motorised brush as can be seen in their
patent (5781960).

Dave.