Re: [mowbot] Basic platform: worm gear motor

Dave Everett (deverett nospam at idx.com.au)
Thu, 14 May 1998 11:29:55 +1000

At 02:50 PM 13-05-98 -0700, you wrote:
>---Dave Everett <deverett nospam at idx.com.au> wrote:
>> I chose motors used for car electric windows, they came from
>> http://allcorp.com
>> and cost $14.97 each and outputs 40RPM, the part number is DCM-64. All
>> Electronics have other motors that may be suitable, and specifically
>> another electic window motor with an output speed of 120RPM.
>
>These motors (power window & locks) are designed for intermittent duty
>cycle, so running them at full power for longer time should
>theoretically damage them. What is your experience with them?
>==
Someone else (Robin I think) mentioned that way back when I first talked
about getting them. The first thing I did when the platform was built, was
run the platform up and down the lawn measuring the current for about 1hr.
The motors were quite warm after that but not hot.

If they do experience problems down the line at least I can replace them
cheaply or even select another motor, but I needed to get started and the
choice of motor was stopping me from progressing at all.

Dave Everett

Mowbot Project Website
http://www.idx.com.au/~deverett/mowbot/index.htm