Re: [mowbot] Still Mowing By Hand?

Mike Ross (mross nospam at outland.jsc.nasa.gov)
Mon, 30 Jun 1997 15:17:40 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 30 Jun 1997 KEN_REED nospam at hp-boise-om2.om.hp.com wrote:

> Greetings MowBotHeads :)
>
> I assume everyone is still mowing their lawn my hand. I know that
> I am, except for small test patch.
>
> I know everyone is very busy, but someone must be making progress.
> How about some traffic on this list again.

Well, my version is cutting grass, but it's still too unsafe to use. Mine
is a teleoperated version, controlled via joysticks from inside in front
of the TV. The video link has been the largest barrier so far, I've tried
various frequencies but none will reliably penetrate a normal residential
building. Nothing like losing the feed while the blade is going to bring
images of lawsuits to mind.

I'm saving up for a 2.4 GHz link. That's the latest band the FCC has
opened up to unlicensed use. I also need to change steering motors for my
bot, the current beefy and expensive servo motor is on the weak side. I'm
looking for a 24V DC Lead screw motor, anyone got the address of some
surplus houses so I can get their catalogs?

-mike

* Michael L. Ross/C33 | Lockheed Martin Eng & Sci Svcs Co. ****
* Robotics Department | 2400 Nasa Rd. 1, Houston, TX 77058*****
* (281)333-7094; (281)333-6071 fax* #include <disclaimer.h>*
* Finger me for my public key. mross nospam at outland.jsc.nasa.gov ****