Re: [mowbot] Absolute location

Monta Elkins (Monta nospam at vt.edu)
Mon, 14 Oct 1996 11:07:37 -0400

Gee, what a great idea.

What about an RF "trigger" on mowbot that sets off 4-5 ultrasonic
"pings" at different frequencies from different known locations.
Mowbot cold RF triger -- listen at one frequency; RF trigger listen
at the next frequency until all stations were polled.

The multiple stations would be for when 1 or more were blocked
by a Yard Obsticle (y.o.). Time shortest response to help omit
reflections...

What's the resolution of this system, (looks like centimeter
resolution would be pretty easy)?

Any trouble with omnidirectional microphones for the ultra-sonic
receiver?

(I'm assuming a single RF frequency and multiple ultrasonics would
make beacon construction easier, but we could use multiple RF
frequencies and a single ultrasonic...)

I'd like some comments from folks used to using ultrasonics
(range finders etc.)

-Monta

robin nospam at acm.org wrote:

> Just saw this on comp.robotics.misc. I thought the time difference
> IR/ultrasound technique mentioned might prove useful.
>
> Robin.
[snip]

--
-Monta Elkins

--------------------------------------------------------- | "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is | | for good men to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke | | Monta nospam at bev.net ----------------- http://www.bev.net | | System Administrator - Blacksburg Electronic Village | ---------------------------------------------------------