Re: [mowbot] cordless crewdrivers

Dana Gould (dgould nospam at usa1.com)
Fri, 27 Sep 1996 13:53:17 -0400

----------
> From: robin nospam at acm.org
> To: mowbot nospam at dragon.swansea.linux.org.uk
> Subject: [mowbot] cordless crewdrivers
> Date: Thursday, September 26, 1996 8:35 PM
>
> "Dana Gould" <dgould nospam at usa1.com> wrote:
> > Regarding motors. My first thought is to get a couple cheap
> > cordless screwdrivers. They're geared down, have a far amount
> > of torque, and operate from 6V, 9V, 12V, or 14V (though the
> > cheap ones are usually only 6V). You'd probably want to
> > gear it down one more time, but I think a couple of them
> > should be sufficient for a mowbot.
> I had a look at some in various catalogues. There's an amazing one
> with 22.5Nm torque, 50--350rpm, but the downside is the price: 204 UKP
> (306 US$)! There are some more modest ones that might do the job, but
> they are all much more expensive than just buying the motors themselves.
>
> btw, all along I've been converting all my currency ammounts to US$,
> assuming everyone else could do their own conversions from there.
> I didn't think until just now that there are other sorts of $ about.
> I hope you guessed what I meant.
>
> Robin.
> --
> Copyright (C) 1996 R.M.O'Leary <robin nospam at acm.org> All rights reserved.
> For licence to copy, see http://dragon.swansea.linux.org.uk/mowbot/

Yep, some of the industrial grade cordless drills go for
US$200 and up. DeWalt has a very nice new cordless
drill for about US$250 I wouldn't mind having in my toolbox!
But, I've seen cheapo cordless drills sometimes going for
as little as US$20, and I usually, easily find something
in the US$30 to US$40 range. Not a great drill, maybe not
even a good one, but adequate.

> Checkout WEB site: www.allcorp.com/MOTORS04.html
> They have 12V, gearhead motors rated at 1.5amps (175rpm) and 12.6V rated
> at 600ma (40 rpm) for US $17.50. Look like motors from electric auto
> window units to me.

I think this looks pretty good, at least for testing, and "www.allcorp.com"
goes into my bookmark file.

Dana