Re: [mowbot] platform

robin nospam at acm.org
Thu, 26 Sep 1996 01:45:37 +0100

"LIFE IS MEANINGLESS, WHY BOTHER" <DRJECKYL nospam at UWYO.EDU> wrote:
> The three wheel design is probably the best I've heard. Two of the
> wheels just spin free and are fixed, while the third provides power
> and steering. This is probably easiest to implement, with one motor
> moving the thing and two solenoids and a spring to steer it.
> (with each solenoid turning the wheel 90 deg.)
Actually, my plan was to have the two wheels on the diameter being
driven (possibly in opposite directions to turn) and the third wheel
just a free support. This means you can bolt your motors rigidly to
the chassis in the middle and not have to do any fancy gearing to get
power to a swivelling wheel. It also means that all your power goes in
to movement and not in to solenoids fighting a spring.

Robin.

--
Copyright (C) 1996 R.M.O'Leary <robin nospam at acm.org>  All rights reserved.
For licence to copy, see http://dragon.swansea.linux.org.uk/mowbot/