Re: [mowbot] Legal stuff

Dana Gould (dgould nospam at usa1.com)
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 13:56:04 -0400

----------
> From: Jeff Sampson <jeffs39 nospam at skypoint.com>
> To: mowbot nospam at dragon.swansea.linux.org.uk
> Subject: Re: [mowbot] Legal stuff
> Date: Tuesday, September 24, 1996 11:14 PM
>
> No, no, no. Back in the OLD days. Long before the lawn ranger. Probably
15-20
> years ago. (Any other "old timers" out there? I'm 40.) I beleive it was
called
> the MowBot and it was made by General Electric or some other big company.
It had
> at least one pretty good size deep cycle battery, xacto blade cutters, a
nice
> plastic body. It used a sensor to detect a buried wire around the
perimeter of
> the area to be mowed. It then took a random path to cut the grass,
turning when
> (snip)
> --
> Jeff Sampson Minneapolis, MN, USA
> (Toshiba T6963 and EPSON/SMOS SED1330 LCD Controllers)
> jeffs39 nospam at skypoint.com
> http://www.skypoint.com/~jeffs39

I remember seeing that MowBot in Pop Sci ages ago (you're not the only
40-something
here :). I though it was really cool, but unfortunately it's more suited
for smaller and flatter
lawns. Our lawn is/was larger, hilly, with many obstacles.

I was surprised how similar the Lawn Ranger in Pop Elec was.

Dana