Re: [mowbot] Legal stuff

Dave Everett (Deverett nospam at vir.idx.com.au)
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 15:13:48 +1000

robin nospam at acm.org wrote:

> I do think we need to take a few steps to safeguard the spirit of this
> project. If some random person reads our musings and feels enthused to
> go and build himself a mowbot, that's great. If he decides he's going
> to set up a factory and make millions, then gets an injunction against
> our web site because he's registered the name Mowbot, I won't be happy.

I don't know about other countries, but here we would have clear right
over the name (if it's not already registered and, most importantly, in
use). The same goes for any intellectual property generated by this
project.

There have been several cases where people who registered a name had to
relinquish rights because someone was already using it but hadn't
registered.

> We should at least be copyrighting our posts, so whatever distribution
> we do agree is backed up by copyright law.

Ok, Copyright Mowbot project 1996, something like that?

Dave Everett.