Re: [mowbot] cutting

Monta Elkins (Monta nospam at vt.edu)
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 15:06:13 -0400

robin nospam at acm.org wrote:

> Monta Elkins <Monta nospam at vt.edu> wrote:
> > While new cutting technology _may_ be interesting (and energy
> > efficient) I move we stick to existing technology.
> I agree. But the comb and disk thing is used in an existing commercial
> product, so it isn't really cutting edge:-)

I haven't seen it.
Can you get weight/width/power for it?

> > In anycase our time is best spent on the robotic
> > part of the project, not redesigning cutting
> > technology.
> Unfortunately, the cutting part is one of the most essential and demanding
> parts of this project and its design will have to be chosen with great
> care or the rest of the work will be useless!

I propose a priority 3 goal of having Mowbot,
non-cutting technology dependant. You could,
if you had to, remove one cutting technology and
replace it with another with little additional
reconfiguring (except maybe a cutting width parameter
and a max forward cutting speed).

Of course that is a limitation too.
It means that the cutting tech. couldn't be
a string cutter mounted on a forward independant
swivel platform...

-Monta Elkins

| "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is |
| for good men to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke |
| Monta nospam at bev.net ----------------- http://www.bev.net |
| System Administrator - Blacksburg Electronic Village |