Re: [mowbot] Mowbot list

Dave Everett (Deverett nospam at vir.idx.com.au)
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 21:08:38 +1000

robin nospam at acm.org wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Sep 1996 08:36:42 -0400 Monta Elkins <Monta nospam at vt.edu> wrote:
> > My platform was 'easily available' materials.
> Although we haven't discussed it much, I think this is our basis too.
> Certainly my goal is to design something that can be built from standard
> parts bought from Maplin/RS/<your local electronics store> and put
> together by a relatively low-tech hobbyist on a kitchen table in a weekend
> or two.

That's also my desire. I don't want to get into specially built motors
and
so forth. But I also don't want to buy them from RS, I just checked my
RS
catalogue and the prices are high enough to make your hair fall out at
fifty paces :-(

> > String trimmers may be slow, but the Mowbot doesn't care
> > to work long hours.
> Exactly. Whatever cutter we use, it's going to be slow. In fact, it
> almost doesn't matter how slow it is, it just means the grass is longer
> on average.

All my previous research has shown that the best way is with a high
speed blade. The grass blades are very flexible, and they just bend over
unless struck with enough force. I also believe that the grass tends to
stand up due to the sucking of air past the mower blades, this greatly
improves the effect.

Dave Everett.