Re: [mowbot] A Lurker Says, "Hello".

robin nospam at acm.org
Mon, 23 Sep 1996 19:36:44 +0100

Dave Everett wrote:
> It may be possible to create a colour
> sensor
> that was responsive to the rough colour of grass. This is not as far
> fetched
> as it sounds, there are SMD chip colour sensors that I have heard of.
> Green
> of course like blue is a difficult colour to sense, but by using filters
> it might be possible to eliminate the need for a boundary wire type
> system.
This sounds like an interesting possibility. Rather than sensing colour
per se, perhaps a whole suite of ground-looking sensors (including IR
and ultrasound) would give us enough variables to reliably identify the
type terrain. What are we likely to encounter? Grass, obviously, (but
different varieties and lengths will probably exhibit somewhat different
properties), earth, tree root, paving stones, tarmac, brick, concrete.
Most of hte man-made surfaces are hard and flat and so should give a
good ultrasound echo.

btw Dave, why do your posts have such erratic word-wrap?

Robin.

--
R.M.O'Leary <robin nospam at acm.org> +44 973 310035  P.O. Box 20, Swansea SA2 8YB, U.K.